Tuesday, June 5, 2018

JUNE Cross Plus Charity Spotlight & Block Construction

UPDATE: This month we raised $557 for RAICES Texas. Our quilt winner is Linda Costello!!

It's June. Yes, I skipped May. It was a non-stop month and I barely had time to shower, much less quilt. But we're back and I'm excited for this month's non-profit!

  If you want to know the catalyst behind this project, check out the original Cross Plus Charity Drive post. My goal with this endeavor is to help minority teens and young adults get the help they need to set them up for long-term success. I'm hoping this endeavor will help a wide variety of organizations that meet the needs of these teens/young adults. There are so many who strive to help a specific population and my goal is to reach a variety of groups. I do not get any sort of compensation for supporting these organizations. I just do the research and find the organizations to help.


I'm currently taking suggestions for foundations and charities that benefit children and young adults of color. If you have an idea or suggestion for an organization to support, please email me at simplypurplepoppy@gmail.com


On the first of each month, I'll post the details about the organization/charity we'll be donating to. I'll also include the block instructions at the bottom of the post.  I'll post reminders on instagram, so make sure you're following me there (@purplepoppyquilts) for updates on this undertaking. You can send blocks any time of any month, the monthly reminder posts will just be...reminders. The last week of the month will be the raffle ticket purchase/drawing. Raffle Tickets are $1 and there's no limit to how many you can purchase.


**If you'd like to donate to the construction of quilts (i.e., batting, backing, quilting, binding, shipping, or the money to purchase these items), please contact me via Instagram or email (Simplypurplepoppy@gmail.com).


JUNE NON-PROFIT SPOTLIGHT:RAICES TEXAS


SO, I UPDATED THIS MONTH'S NON-PROFIT BECAUSE I WAS FEELING SO HELPLESS AND FRUSTRATED WITH THE FAMILY SEPARATIONS AT OUR SOUTHERN BORDER. JUNE AND JULY'S RAFFLES WILL BOTH GO TO THIS ORGANIZATION. 


RAICES Texas (RAICESTexas.org) is center for refugee and immigrant service and education. They have offices in Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. All funds go to helping the legal team with reunifying families, legal fees for unaccompanied children, and ensure legal representation through the immigration process. This is what their website says:


RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal 
services to underserved immigrant children, families, and refugees in Texas.
Founded in 1986 as the Refugee Aid Project by community activists in South Texas, RAICES has grown to be the largest immigration legal services provider in Texas. With offices in Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio, RAICES is a frontline organization in the roiling debate about immigration and immigrants in the world. As an organization that combines expertise developed from the daily practice of immigration law with a deep commitment to advocacy, RAICES is unique among immigration organizations. A diverse staff of 130 attorneys, legal assistants, and support staff provide consultations, direct legal services, representation, assistance and advocacy to communities in Texas and to clients after they leave the state. In 2017, RAICES staff closed 51,000 cases at no cost to the client. Our advocacy and commitment to change are driven by the clients and families we serve every day as our attorneys and legal assistants provide legal advocacy and representation in an immigration system that breaks apart families and leaves millions without pathways to legal status.

Raffle Details:

During the last week of the month, you can purchase raffle tickets and/or donate via the "DONATE" button on this blog. If you'd like your donation to go to the construction of the quilts, instead of to the specific organization, please email me/message me on Instagram and we'll make other arrangements for you to donate.


On the last day of the month, I will draw a winner from the raffle ticket purchases and send this quilt to you! I will also publish how much money was raised and make the donation to this month's organization.






Cross Plus Block Construction: 
I chose this block and resized it so that you can hopefully use up some scraps! Change the world and use up scraps! It's a win/win! You can use a jelly roll strip or charm squares for almost every part of this block. For this block drive, we're using the instructions on Bad Skirt's blog, with a couple changes. 

1. Your cutting instructions will be slightly bigger because our block will be 10.5" unfinished, instead of the 8" in her tutorial. You'll need one print for the center +, one black print for the outer edges, a variety of low volume prints, and 4 bright, happy squares, as pictured in the diagram below. Because we want bright, saturated fabrics, please stay away from NAVY, GRAY, AND BROWN for any part of this block. 

2. The tutorial has you cut the larger squares on the bias. You don't need to do that for this block. Just cut your 4.5" squares as normal. 



Make the outer "spokes" first, pressing towards the middle (aka, the darker fabric). Then assemble the center + and black prints, pressing towards the center + fabric. Then assemble the rows. 


You can see in this photo the pressing directions. When you assemble your rows, press towards the middle. Same when you finish the block. If you feel strongly about it, you can also press all seams open. 

When you finish your block(s), please consider doing a 1/8" staystitch around the edge. I promise, the person assembling the quilt and the quilter will love you for it.



When your blocks are ready, just message me on Instagram or email me at simplypurplepoppy@gmail.com and I'll send you my shipping address. Please make sure your blocks are sent in a waterproof bag. I'd hate for all your hard work to be ruined by the postal system!


I want to take a brief moment to thank you in advance. First, for reading through this entire post (phew!). And second, for your good, kind hearts. In working with at-risk kids in schools and communities, it's so easy to get discouraged and feel helpless. I know it may not feel like you're changing the world by making a few quilt blocks and using up scraps, but I've seen so much good come from small acts of love. So, thank you for being so wonderful and good in a world that often only sees the negative. I feel lucky to be a part of this amazing creative community. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. Core drilling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. 20-yard dumpster rental Leander tx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. roll-off dumpsters Lakeway tx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I was just browsing along and came upon your blog. Just wanted to say good blog and this article helped me a lot, due to which I have found exactly I was looking. New Braunfels Dumpsters

    ReplyDelete
  5. New home development has various advantages. At the point when you're on the lookout for another home, you need to decide whether you need another home or a used home. This implies you need to consider expenses and highlights to sort out where the best arrangements are. To learn of the multitude of advantages, you need to track down the correct developer. When you find the correct developer, the advantages become increasingly self-evident.

    entreprise gros oeuvre

    ReplyDelete
  6. New home development has various advantages. At the point when you're on the lookout for another home, you need to decide whether you need another home or a used home. This implies you need to consider expenses and highlights to sort out where the best arrangements are. To learn of the multitude of advantages, you need to track down the correct manufacturer. When you find the correct developer, the advantages become increasingly self-evident.

    At the point when you're taking a gander at new home development, you need to recall that nobody else has at any point lived in the home. This implies that you're not acquiring another person's issues. Numerous individuals purchase homes however don't genuinely have a clue how to deal with them. This implies that you may discover a wide range of issues with wiring, plumbing and even tidiness as you get arranged into the home. With another home, you don't have those issues.


    palissade chantier


    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very cool! I dont suppose I have read something similar to this before. So nice to search out somebody with authentic applying for grants this subject. I really appreciate starting this up. Your website is one area that is needed on the net. Totally a helpful project for bringing new things for the web! XMX London Ltd

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this good but ,I like your post and good pics may be any peoples not like because defrent mind all poeple , reformas integrales zaragoza

    ReplyDelete
  9. donate water I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

JUNE Cross Plus Charity Spotlight & Block Construction

UPDATE: This month we raised $557 for RAICES Texas. Our quilt winner is Linda Costello!! It's June. Yes, I skipped May. It was a non-s...